Wednesday, December 2, 2009

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas...

Is it my imagination, or does Christmas arrive earlier every year ? Did somebody change the date and forget to tell me?

This year I saw a decorated Christmas tree while I was on my way to buy Halloween treats. What, did they think we'd forget?

I promise I'll remember. But could we just wait at least until November?

Today, I did the first of my Christmas shopping. Well, that's not really true. So far, I've bought our little grandaughter's present three times. The trouble is, Grandma Joey can't stand the excitement, and GG gets to open the gift. Then it's back to the store for another. So far, she's opened two. I can't give her the last one until Christmas, because I've run out of ideas.

But today, in the store, I was shopping for others.

I'm not a very good shopper -- I mean, I don't get to town often, and I have no idea what the stores have. Today I saw a lot (I mean A LOT!) of Hannah Montana. What happened? Everywhere I turned, it was some brand name or other. And not just on the toys -- t-shirts, pyjamas, socks, and even underwear, all branded.

Are we all so idea-bankrupt that we can't give 'brandless' gifts? Are we so easily manipulated that this advertising strategy works?

If I'm going to be successful in my plan to overthrow the industry, I'd better get busy making some gifts. Ooops, maybe I should have gotten started back in October when I saw that first Christmas tree!

No comments:

Post a Comment