Thursday, April 9, 2009

Second Hand Treasures




I love second-hand stores.

They appeal to me for a couple of reasons:
1. I’m cheap – frugal – whatever you want to call it – I don’t like to spend more than I have to.
2. I hate to think of perfectly good stuff ending up in a land fill, when it could be used and enjoyed by a second (or third, fourth, fifth) owner.

Sometimes, I think about the history of a treasure I find in a thrift store. For instance, the wonderful green pillow I bought a few years back. I wonder who first bought it. Was that person as thrilled as I was when I first saw it? Maybe it was a gift. Did it sit on a sofa in a grandma’s house? Maybe it was on a guest bed. How did it end up in that thrift store?
My mind can conjure up all kinds of possibilities…

When I see a silver tray engraved with the names of a bride and groom, along with the date of their wedding, I wonder what happened. Did the bride just tire of polishing the silver? Did the marriage end? Where are these people now?

Each item held such promise at the beginning. What happened?

The last time I browsed the book section in a thrift store, I opened up a copy of Dr. Laura’s book, The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands. I don’t know why I picked it up because I already have this book and I really like it. In fact, I’ve loaned it out a number of times. I highly recommend it. But, apparently the previous owner of this particular volume didn’t share my high regard for Dr. Laura’s advice.

Inside the cover was a hand-written yellow post-it note that read,
“To any woman that reads this, note the following:
Men are more trouble than they are worth.
They are just overgrown babies
who just look for a mother once they leave the nest.”

Yikes – there must be quite a story behind that one!

I hope someone buys that book and gains from Dr. Laura’s ideas.

I hope the author of that note finds that her generalization of men isn’t true about all of them.

I also hope someone takes that silver tray home. The engraving could be hidden with antique linen; and it could provide many years of service in a new home. Just not my home – I don’t want to polish it!

No comments:

Post a Comment