Friday, March 20, 2009

My Husband Needs a Purse

Really!

Not a fancy designer bag – not even real leather – but something to keep his wallet in so that it’s not in his pants' pocket when they hit the washer.

Perhaps you can relate. I think this is event #7 at our place. In 35 years of marriage, I have never washed my own wallet, but I’ve managed to scrub his clean at least seven times. It’s not that I’m more careful with my own stuff – it’s because I’d notice my purse going into the washer, and I keep my wallet in a purse. Yes, my husband needs a purse.

A purse would have saved the dinosaur tooth that met its demise in the washer. What 65 million years in the Alberta Badlands couldn’t accomplish, 45 minutes in a front-load did quite nicely.

Since it was my fault (probably all seven times), I thought I’d take responsibility this time and look after the replacement of the cards. Some were easier than others. The Blue Cross cards could be ordered by phone, but the birth certificate required a visit to the Registry office. Since hubby can’t get away to do that (and it was my fault anyway), I created a letter of permission. He signed. I drove to the registry. And the helpful clerk behind the counter handed me the forms.

I quickly filled in the required names, birthdates, etc., but I struggled with the ‘reason for application’. I needn't have worried -- the woman behind the counter readily understood, when she read, "altercation with a washing machine."

She just smiled.

Maybe her husband needs a purse, too.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yup...he needs a purse! Or lessons on removing the wallet from his pockets each time before he removes the jeans. Oh well...just think of how nice and new his cards will be now...with signatures that are easily read. Does he get a new wallet as well? Good deal for him!

Post a Comment